Pages

My Other Blog

Friday, September 5, 2014

A Week of Gratitude - Day 3

Yesterday I looked a bit inward for the three things I am grateful for, today I'm going to move outward a little and look at the three largest influences and closest things / beings to me and around me most days.



1. Karen.

As much as I wouldn't be who or where I am today without the previous influences and attributes I've discussed, I most certainly wouldn't be me without the support, love, guidance, and friendship of my partner in crime.  In a relationship that has evolved over time as we have grown and changed with life and it's ups and downs, we have carved out a unique partnership that fuels our individual growth and mutual, shared experiences.  It is a give and take that allows me to follow my nature and express myself through many forms - art, writing, design, photography, construction, travel... (everyday it seems that list gets longer) and through it all she is my baseline, my constant, my balance when things get too far from center, my devil's advocate when I need a second opinion, and my kind-hearted reason to keep growing and being a better me.

My dreamer and empathetic animal lover who trusts and believes in the best of everyone, who's heart is always close to the surface, who's emotions run deep and who's love of nature and home and the comforts they bring surrounds me with a warmth and balance and a inner peace like no other.



And thanks to her I am going to include

2. Riley.

He's a source of pride, of frustration, of admiration, of friendship.  He can push my buttons and test my will and my resolve - and then turn around and absolutely stun me with his insight, intuition, knowledge and depth.  He's funny and smart and anxious and awkward.  Demanding, compassionate, aloof and unafraid, fearful and courageous and brave and true.

He has taught me to look at things with a unique perspective and offers another dimension to my time here.  It's been an absolute blast watching him become who he will be - not always easy or fun - but that's the deal.  That entire mixed bag tests me and reinforces me daily and gives me exactly what I need.  And knowing he's always absorbing my habits and influences and my attitudes and perspectives keeps me trying to be my best, for his sake and for mine.



Lastly today I am grateful for

3. The home the three of us have created.

It may not resemble the house we purchased 19 years ago anymore - and I am directly to blame for all of that - but it has allowed the three of us to become a family, to create memories and a bond that strengthens and empowers each of us and all of us together.  It's location and neighbourhood have provided friends and a caring, loving environment to raise a family.  It's yard has provided an oasis and sanctuary where we can retreat and renew or entertain and celebrate and share the experience of life with friends and family.  It is a blank canvas for me to adapt and renew, creating a more harmonious environment with who we are and how we use its spaces.  It is shelter from the extremes of our climate, and a fortress from the outside world where we can escape and decompress. It is an extension of its occupants providing distances between when needed and a sharing of our time and expressions when called for.

It isn't just an address or building or piece of land, it is home.  And it's where my heart is.





1 comment: